I remember the overwhelming feelings as we prepared to become a family of four---full of excitement and hope; and fear of the unknown creating anxiety and worry about my inadequacies. Yet, from the moment Nora was born, it has felt like a seamless transition. Just another lesson on faithfulness and trusting in God's plan.
She is such a joy--peaceful and happy and content to watch what is going on around her. The depth in her eyes makes her seem like an old soul--as if she was sent here to teach us about the beauty of this life and all that is important in this world.
In just a few short weeks, I am going to have to drop her off at the Sitter's. While I know she will be well cared for and loved, just as her big brother has been, it breaks my heart--knowing that life will continue to be a series of letting go so that they can blossom into who they were created to be. What a hard balance--to truly love each stage even more than the last, and at the same time, not wanting them to grow up too quickly.
One of my favorite books to read to her is a special book from her Nonna called Wherever You Are: my love will find you by Nancy Tillman. It puts words and beautiful illustrations to the pure, unconditional love we want our kids to find comfort in throughout their lives. And, each time I read it to Nora or Owen, I am overcome--reminded of my faith and God's message to us as well:
"I wanted you more than you ever will know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go...
And if someday you're lonely, or someday you're sad, or you strike out at baseball, or think you've been bad...just lift up your face, feel the wind in your hair. That's me, my sweet baby, my love is right there.
In the green of the grass...in the smell of the sea...in the clouds floating by...at the top of the tree...in the sound crickets make at the end of the day..."You are loved. You are loved. You are loved," they all say.
So hold your head high and don't be afraid to march to the front of your own parade.
If you're still my small babe or you're all the way grown, my promise to you is you're never alone.
You are my angel, my darling, my star...and my love will find you, wherever you are.
You are loved."




This is so beautiful. Thanks for letting us see in. I wish I lived closer to know Nora better, but I appreciate being able to get to know her through her mommy.
ReplyDeleteI'm tearing up as I read this. I love her so much, and I am only the aunt! Thank you for always saying what I would like to say but really can't ever seem to find the words for. What wonderful reminders for us all to read. These kids bring more joy that I could have ever imagined. We are so beyond blessed.
ReplyDeleteBefore I Googled her, I knew Nancy Tillman must be the other of another book that I love--On the Night You Were Born. Makes me cry every time I read it, in a good way of course. :)
ReplyDelete*author, that is. ;)
ReplyDeleteyes, we love her books in our house :)
ReplyDeletethat was just a beautiful blog. I knew that the moment your new baby arrived that you would find so much space in your heart. I knew that htis new little one would fill you life with joy and wonder as Owen has. She is just beautiful in every way. Seeing her bright blue eyes and warm smile, makes my heart feel full. You are a great mom, Rebecca. Owen and Nora are blessed.... I love you
ReplyDelete