As I sit down to write, the house is quiet for the first time since we got home from the hospital. All of our visitors have left (until next weekend!) and both kids are napping. I haven't decided if it feels nice or kind of sad. But, it certainly makes being a new family of four feel very real.
My parents left this morning, which was difficult for me. We really appreciated their visit especially in the midst of my Grandma Rose going into the hospital and the passing of my brother-in-law, Chris's Pap this week. Not to mention my parents are in the midst of trying to sell their house.
My mom cooked yummy meals every night and kept the house clean. Somehow she also found the time to play hide-and-seek, read books and bake a chocolate cake with Owen and to snuggle with Nora. Nora had her first bath, first walk around the neighborhood and first shopping trip. My mom and I were even able to go out to lunch and sit and talk for awhile, which was wonderful. As they drove away today, Owen looked at Mark and said "that was fun to have Nonna and Pop Pop here". It was so cute.
My mom cooked yummy meals every night and kept the house clean. Somehow she also found the time to play hide-and-seek, read books and bake a chocolate cake with Owen and to snuggle with Nora. Nora had her first bath, first walk around the neighborhood and first shopping trip. My mom and I were even able to go out to lunch and sit and talk for awhile, which was wonderful. As they drove away today, Owen looked at Mark and said "that was fun to have Nonna and Pop Pop here". It was so cute.
My mom's visit was such a comfort to me. She has always been my example for how to be a friend and mother, but having children of my own has only deepened that gratitude and love. I hope that Nora and I grow to share that special bond that exists between a mother and daughter.
“Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away."--George Eliot
Owen has been such a good big brother and seems so proud of his new baby sister. He likes to introduce people to her, read her books while she eats and sing songs to her. So far potty training continues to go well, too!
Right now I am just overcome with this new depth of love for my family and in feeling so.abundantly.blessed.







This post made me cry. Having a daughter is so amazing - I feel so blessed every day to have Louisa and I know you will experience such a special bond with Nora, as well. We cannot wait to see you next weekend.
ReplyDeleteYou certainly do have wonderful parents, Becca! Glad they were such a help! Where are they moving to?
ReplyDeleteYou are such an amazing mom, friend, sister, etc. Nora and Owen are so lucky to call you mom.
ReplyDelete