Thursday, December 22, 2011

Shades of Gray

This post has nothing to do with the insanity of this week: getting the Flu in the midst of wrapping and packing, or the highlights: an impromptu visit from my Aunt Kathy and Cousin Mark and a fun trip to a local pottery-painting place with a dear friend.




Clay Cafe fun with Amelia:

But, I just can't help when the writing bug hits and a revelation needs to be solidified in print:

I used to feel like every asterisk or disclaimer I included next to my views or opinions was a hesitation to commit, or meant that I was indecisive, weak or not intelligent enough.  And, in this age of online identities, blog themes and Facebook profiles, it seems so much easier to label or be labelled: modern, crafty, religious, alternative or creative. We begin to make assumptions and judgments about who people are, and even start to limit ourselves in the process.  Maybe it is because my life is full of people who hold different views, and have different styles and interests. While this has challenged me and stretched my thinking, it can also feel suffocating and isolating when you can't find a label that sticks.

And, if I am honest, there were probably a few years in there where it was hard for me to form definitive opinions for fear of leaving some of my loved-ones out or not fitting into their box.

Many years ago, I was told that being open-minded was a flaw of mine.  Since then, I have come to believe that it is actually one of my best attributes. I like to think it means I am fearless and open to the possibilities...to change and growth. And, what's interesting is that in the freedom of living in the gray area, it has actually made my faith stronger and my views more rooted.

There is a comfort in the uncertainty that gray provides.  Life isn't black and white--and it actually offers a lot more meaning and depth when we don't settle for that. Things don't have to fit into boxes, even if that's what makes everyone else more comfortable. I can love my job and love my family, I can go to church and drink wine, I can have conservative views about some things and liberal views about others, I can love my husband and need time with my girl friends and time alone, I can choose to vaccinate my kids and still use cloth diapers and recycle, I can be strong in my faith while accepting of other people's beliefs...

And it doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else...it just makes me...ME.

So, here's to throwing out the labels and embracing all the unique things that make us who we are, especially the unexpected and interesting shades of gray.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. Sounds like a great new year's resolution. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!!!! You are a very caring person which makes living with controversy hard for you. Stick to your guns and stay in the gray!! We love you for it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!