Friday, February 4, 2011

Working Mother's Guilt

My sister, Sarah, sent me this article today and I thought blogging might help me sort out my own reactions and perspective.  So bear with me... 

Early in my Masters program, I chose to write a paper in my Family Studies course on "The Effects on Children of Childcare and Working Parents".  At the time, my sister Jessica was pregnant with my niece and I felt her struggle between her individual life goals and dreams and the development of new desires to put all of that aside and care for her new baby.  The research proved that quality childcare arrangements are beneficial for children--especially girls who tend to develop higher self-esteem.  My sister did return to her job and my niece is one of the brightest, most outgoing, confident and amazing little girls I have ever known (and I know I am biased, but you'd think the same thing if you met her).  Likewise, we have seen lots of benefits to Owen's growth through his childcare experiences.


And while I am certainly not saying that these outcomes would have been completely different if we stayed at home, it simply makes the point for me about choices.  Specifically, knowing who you are and what works best for you and your family.  And, at the same time, respecting each other's choices and decisions (since some don't have a choice) rather than existing as two separate, and often competing, groups of moms: stay-at-home vs. working.  Afterall, both situations come with lots of commitment, love, challenges and rewards.

I feel grateful for my flexible work arrangement...the benefits of working from home are obvious.  And, I enjoy the fulfillment that my work offers and contributions I can make to my family.  Yet, as a mom stuck somewhere between "working and stay-at-home", most days I feel the constant stress of blurred lines and roles, which often leads to feelings of inadequacy and failure to do either job well:

"And if it is about science, you could say that being a working mother is akin to the duality of light. You feel like both a wave and a particle, constantly shape shifting between the two existences without ever fully inhabiting either one. When you're at work, half your brain is at home; when you're home half your brain is at work. You sometimes feel like you can never quite remain in one state of matter long enough to finish everything -- or anything..." 
And, then there is the whole "Tiger Mom" debate recently in the news.  On one hand, the whole discussion seems to perpetuate comparison, defensiveness and guilt, in my opinion.  However, this article has a whole new perspective to consider.  We can all agree that our first priority is our children, even if our approaches are different from one another.  This part of the article was one of my favorites:
"Parenting is a process through which God purifies us — the parents — even as he shapes our children.  Meanwhile, we are called to trust that God is the shaper of our kids, although he allows and encourages us to play a role." 
So can we respect each other's choices and stop comparing or judging or feeling guilty?  Maybe we just need to take a step back and simply play the role of guiding our children on their unique paths.  If we are comfortable with who we are, then we can be better role models to our children, embrace our life circumstances and be present.

"Your children are not your children. 
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts, 
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, 
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, 
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, 
and He bends you with His might 
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, 
so He loves also the bow that is stable." 
--Kahlil Gibran
What about you? What has your experience been like?  Do you feel guilty or have regret about your decision or life circumstance? Does society play a role in how you view your choices?  What do you think about these two articles?  Your comments and perspective are welcome!

8 comments:

  1. I love staying home with my kids. I do, however, feel pulled in different directions.

    I sometimes feel that my working mom friends look at me like I am wasting my life/degree. They manage to work full time and still raise their children, so why can't I? I feel I cannot share worries about money in front of them because it's my fault that we aren't bringing in two incomes.

    On the other hand, it's sometimes difficult to have so many stay-at-home mom friends because most of them have husbands with wealthy jobs. They get to stay home without worrying about money. So, I feel I can't share worries about money with them, either, because that's just not on their radar.

    Totally agree that we need to come together, though-not fair to judge either decision. Great discussion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as you know, I'm a stay-at-home mom (for now). I have no guilt, nor regret. But here are still days when I *really* miss working, interacting with other adults (not the same as hanging out with other moms, talking about our kids :-P), using my brain in more challenging ways, furthering my education, etc. There are days I wish I had gone to graduate school before having kids, because I know it will probably never happen now (not because of the kids, but because of the money).

    I've heard from other working moms that they get comments, or feel judged, for working full-time or for having their kids go to daycare. I can tell you that I've gotten my share of mean comments, too--almost always from people who either A. chose to work full-time when their kids were young, or B. have no children. ;) The ladies I used to work with asked every time I visited with baby Cam, "So...what do you DO all day?" As though the many things I did to keep busy each day (be it cleaning or shopping or playing, etc etc) were somehow less important than what I'd done in the office when I worked with them. It was a big turn-off and I stopped visiting. I don't criticize others for their choices, and I'd appreciate the same for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, you make a good point, too. We DO struggle for money, and have since I stopped working. We've made a lot of "sacrifices" (getting rid of premium cable package and landline phone, driving old cars [I desperately want a minivan! but alas, they are $$...I'd settle for power locks on my current car, lol], etc) and I get a lot of slack for that, too. My mom can't believe the "sacrifices" I make...not having Tivo anymore, not having a new/nice/big car, even breastfeeding (and all of the "inconveniences" that come with that, like more frequent night-wakings and never getting a "break" from my baby [which I don't even want! grr]). Seems we can't win, no matter what decisions we make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally get this. I work "from home" in the sense that I don't have an office anywhere else. I'm on the road for appointments 2-3 days a week and I'm lucky to have my mom watching my kids. So then I tell myself that I get 2-3 days at home with the kids. That's true, but the second they are down for a nap, I'm on the phone and my computer trying to get caught up on my work and do my scheduling. I feel like it's the best of both worlds, but I never get to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It saddens me a bit that no matter what choice you make, there are judgements on either side. I agree with Lindsey, I do not critize others for their choices and would appreciate the same. But I may also project that onto people. It might also be my own mix of envy and admiration for women who stay at home. I just can't pull that trigger yet, for many reasons, mainly my comfort level and fear of the future implications (finances, getting back into the work force, what if I don't like staying at home full-time, etc)

    I have to say that it was a very difficult choice for me to return to work. When I learned I was pregnant, suddenly the career I had worked so hard to cultivate was not my priority. I had to switch jobs in order to find a better balance (and still have a little bitterness about that, although I know I am in a much better place now). I am blessed to have a very supportive and engaged husband, and I know I could not be the mom I want to be (and would like to think I am) without him. And I have to admit that it makes me feel a little less guilty that as a teacher he has the summers off to care for Griffin.

    I know I could not do it without our "village". We have shifted our old priorities and make the most of our family time - in the morning, afternoons/evenings and weekends. I would love more time, but I focus on the quality vs. the quantity. We have an amazing support group of family and friends (most of whom are also working, but those who are not are generally just as supportive), and a wonderful caregiver who Griffin (and we) adores. We also have role models who encourage and support us like my parents and my beautiful sisters, who to me make it look easy, even if they say it's not. I also have supportive co-workers, many of whom are in some stage of being parents (many new ones, including my supervisor) and coming from a work environment where that was abnormal, it has made all the difference for me. While my heart my be at home, my comfort level for now is to be working. I believe I would trade one stress (working) for another (not working and worrying about finances). It's a trade off no matter the choice you ulitmately come to.

    Maybe we are our own worst judge. We need to cut ourselves (and each other) a break. We are all amazing women - whether we work in or out of our homes - and our children will be no worse for the wear because they are loved whether they are with us throughout the day or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everyone's thoughts/comments! To the stay-at-home moms, I think the judgmental remarks you may get from working moms probably stem from a level of jealousy and guilt. Even though I've never had anyone tell me, or even really imply, that I'm any less of a mother because I work, I still feel I am. I miss my kids all day long. I resent my job for taking my energy away from them. I know that we could probably scrape by on my husband's income alone, but we'd really be scraping and I wonder if it's selfish of me to choose NOT to make all of those sacrifices in order to stay at home with them.

    Of course, I'm comfortable enough to admit that I'm jealous of SAHMs, so I don't feel the need to make snide comments in order to make myself feel better. I know parenting is the hardest and most important job in the world and I completely admire and respect those who are able to stay at home with their kids.

    I am also fortunate enough to be able to work from home three days a week (in the office the other two) so I get a mix of the home/work experience. I do still have my three kids in childcare every day day because I know I couldn't get any work done while trying to care for them, so even on the days that I'm working from home I'm away from them most of the day.

    It's a difficult balance. I agree that the best thing we can do is be supportive of each other and recognize the fact that every family's situation is different. I think it helps to have a couple of friends who have similar situations to my own so I feel like I can talk to someone who understands. But I appreciate all of my friends so much and am grateful to be able to learn from all of their experiences, whether they stay at home full time, work part time, or work full time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never had quite the same pressure as you do now. Most of my friends were stay at home moms. Our kids played with the neighborhood kids much like Owen plays with his daycare friends so there should be no guilt there. When I went back to subbing when Becky was in kindergarden, it never failed that if I was working - one of the kids was sick. I would worry all day about how they were doing at their grandparents'. But they were well taken care of and I shouldn't have worried but I would think that I should have stayed home that day to take care of my kid. Amazingly they all survived my not being home at times and have turned into relatively decent adults. ;) I once read an article that said we shouldn't be guilty for working (this was back when my kids were little) - that kids need a routine whether they are going to a sitter or staying at home. It's the security of them knowing what to do that makes them stable. I say do what makes your life work. I know moms who would have gone crazy if they didn't work - and moms who would go crazy if they didn't stay home. We are all different (thank God!) and we need to stop comparing ourselves to others. "They" could be the most wealthy people on the block and also be the most miserable. Becca - you are doing a great job! I am amazed at how many things you do with Owen along with doing your job. Don't sweat the small stuff and don't let your hormones take over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for everyone's thoughts! It is neat to read different perspectives and experiences. I think we just need to realize that everyone's situations are different and not compare ourselves to other people or pass judgement.

    I think sometimes woman are hardest on each other, when we really should be more supportive of each other and respect our differences and unique offerings. I love the analogy of depending more on the "village" around us. Instead of trying to "do it all", we can work together to raise loved, well-rounded kids.

    It is wonderful that we live in a time when woman have choices...sometimes it also comes with complicated consequences, though.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!