Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Balance

"Problems arise in that one has to find a balance between what people need from you and what you need for yourself." ~ Jessye Norman

Today I feel the need to write---to sort through all the craziness of life over the last couple of weeks and to find that clarity and solace that comes through the sifting and sorting of writing out thoughts.  And yet, it seems more difficult than usual to find the right words to describe the knot in my stomach that seems to have taken up permanent residence recently.

The last couple of weeks have been filled with feelings of excitement and challenge, as well as stress, disappointment and imbalance.  And, it has not come without learning some life lessons: like how important it is to slow down and take the time to understand other people's perspectives before reacting to a complicated situation, or how to let go of self-imposed pressure and expectations for accomplishment.

The silver lining, in the midst of all the upheaval, is the forced re-prioritization.  Learning to say no in order to care for what is most important is not always easy.  But, having to adjust to a busier work week and less time with the kids has certainly made me cherish the little moments more...it is quality, not quantity, that matters, right? 

Even though I know where my peace and purpose should come from, I am finding it hard to see through the forest at the moment and hold true to my roots of faith.  I know that with any transition, finding the right balance just takes some time...and life will eventually find its natural rhythm again.  I think the bumps along the way are ultimately what makes the journey interesting, relationships stronger, and faith deepened.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I'd like to see a post reflecting on this time in your life in 6 months and see where God has grown you and what he has taught you through this challenging time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are already one step ahead if you have the wisdom to realize that time will be the factor in making life come back into balance and that the journey of life requires bumpy roads along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!