“Friendship makes prosperity more brilliant, and lightens adversity by dividing and sharing it.” ~ Cicero
Friendship has always been important to me. Growing up, I was fortunate to have a great group of girls who were most concerned with enjoying time together, lifting each other up and developing a tight-knit bond based on good values and faith. Despite the odds, that group still feels like family and even though life has gotten in the way of getting together more often, that framework for true friendship has made a lasting mark on my life.
Spending time with a good girlfriend centers me in a way that returns me as a better wife and mom, and gives me a brief respite from the craziness that life offers. They have a way of listening, relating and providing the feedback that you sometimes need to hear most...while also reassuring you that you aren't the only one. Other people's struggles can be a humbling reminder that your stresses aren't unique and it pushes us out of that self-centered lens that we sometimes get trapped in.
Last night, I had the pleasure of meeting an old friend for dinner. We commiserated, reminisced and laughed. Hard. Friendships are such a measure of our growth and it is neat to spend time with people who remind us of how far we've come---and at the same time, how wonderful those memories we share are. Even though growing up sometimes means taking detours and different paths, true friendships are the ones that build bridges to stay connected through the changes. And, it is so comforting to be with someone who really knows who you are, where you've been, and still looks past your flaws.
I feel so blessed to have such wonderful women in my life, who challenge me to not only accept who I am, but strive to be my best...who look for the positive in times that seem discouraging. As time goes on and life pulls us in different directions at increasing speed, I am grateful for the different friendships in my life and the unique blessings that they each offer:
losing track of the wine we've had over meaningful discussions; taking long walks that seem to go by too quickly; laughing until your stomach hurts and people are staring; sharing your struggles in faith and life with understanding and without judgment; watching them love my kids as their own; not missing a beat after too much time apart; going above and beyond to say "i love you" and make you feel special. These are the qualities I love in my friends--the things that make me feel understood and loved...and that teach me how to be a better friend.
Twice as Good (by Sara Groves)
when I am down and need to cry till morning
I know just where I am going
when I'm in need of sweet commiseration
to speak out loud
raise a glass to friendship and to knowing
you don't have to go alone
we'll raise our hearts to share each others burdens
on this road
with every burden I have carried
with every joy it's understood
life with you is half as hard
and twice as good
with my good news your dancing on the table
babies born to celebration
the joy of life oh what a sweet communion
shared with you
I know we're growing older
can you imagine what that will bring
it's all a mystery to me now
but this one thing
will be half as hard, and twice as good
Friendship is such a gift. I love that Sara Groves song, I feel like it describes many of the friendships in my life.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful sentiment and description of friendship...I am glad I have been one of those blessed to travel this life alongside you. There is a certain comfort that comes everytime I spend time with you. I know that is God reminding me of how much I need your friendship, your support, your strengths and your weaknesses...the whole picture. And I love when my stomach muscles hurt so much from laughing...as they did today!! Thanks :) Love, A
ReplyDelete