Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bursting Heart

"The greatest gifts you can give your children are roots and wings" ~Hodding Carter

I can hardly believe that Nora's first birthday is just around the corner.  It seems like the closer it gets, the more emotional I become. Time moves so quickly, especially in the first year.  It is full of new challenges, joys and constant developments.  There is a bit of sadness this time around, as I battle my expectations with God's plan for our family, and we begin to close the chapter on this newborn phase of our lives.

And yet, at the same time, there is this incredible feeling of contentment in realizing that this is my family. There have been several times where I have stopped to take it all in recently--looking around the dinner table as Owen says grace, relishing his snuggles and Nora's baby scent, and watching their love grow for each other.

I have been snapping away at the camera hoping to capture this feeling of my bursting heart.




Parenthood is a lesson in faith and a series of learning to let go (things like alone time, feeling rested, a cushy savings account and, of course, the endless worries). I can remember when my faith fit into a nice, neat box--mostly used in times of pain and struggle. But, becoming a mom changes everything.  I began to feel God in a totally new way.  Suddenly, His unconditional love was something tangible for me to touch and hold.  

It is often difficult to decipher God's voice over my own desires and expectations.  I get so caught up in the distractions of life that I start navigating my own route--dependent on my own sense of direction. But, God's purpose for my life is far greater than anything I could imagine.  And, when I take time to quiet all the noise and calm things down, that becomes so much clearer.

It is always a little bittersweet as we close chapters and begin to write new ones. But, each time we let go a little more, we help them find their wings to fly. "As a parent, we are the bow from which their arrows are sprung, "~Kahlil Gibran


I Get To Be The One
JJ Heller

Well hello,
Little baby.
Your eyes have never seen the sun
You should know
Little baby
That I am the lucky one

I get to be the one to hold your hand
I get to be the one.
Through birthdays and broken bones
I'll be there to watch you grow
I get to be the one.

Don't feel alone now,
Little baby.
Do you hear me singing you a song
I can't wait to show you
Little baby
How to crawl
How to walk
And how to run

I get to be the one to hold your hand
I get to be the one.
Through birthdays and broken bones
I'll be there to watch you grow
I get to be the one.

How does someone so small
Hold my heart so tightly
I don't even know you
I love you completely

I get to be the one to hold your hand
I get to be the one.
Through birthdays and broken bones
I'll be there to watch you grow
I get to be the one to hold your hand
I get to be the one.





1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favorite posts....you touched on a 'worrier's heart'. I can tell that being a mother has opened your heart and mind in so many amazing ways--and I appreciate your openness. I hope that one day I can experience some of these moments that you describe! This post really struck a chord with me...I have been somewhat melancholy this past week over things that have passed, & things that may never be. Life really is a lesson in just being who & where we are...in the moment...and not worrying it all away. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!