Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Work Trip

They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder.  But, I'd say it also makes you more appreciative....and more aware.  So, maybe being forced to resume a bit of travel for work isn't the worst thing in the world (especially since I have successfully avoided it for the past year).  It is a lot less fun than choosing to go away for a vacation, but even that comes served with anxiety...and a side of guilt.  At least this way, I don't have much of a choice.

On the bright side, I will be able to sleep diagonally in my king-size hotel bed and eat all kinds of good (free) food! As if those aren't enough, I can see more "silver lining", like:

Loosening the grip of control and realizing that everything.is.okay.  Leaving the kids in their familiar setting and more-than-capable hands of their Daddy certainly makes it far less painful....and is so important for them and for him. We've got this thing down like a well-oiled machine most days--the routines; the roles. There is comfort in that--knowing where you fit and what you offer.  But, we can also get stuck in that cycle and forget to make room for each other. So, it's good to shake things up once in awhile.  And, it is important for us to remember the other parts of who we are!

And, of course, I am already looking forward to the shrieks of "MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!", clingy hugs and gummy kisses upon my return.  These are usually reserved for Mark when he gets home from work, so it will be fun to feel like the superstar for a change!

So, while I can feel my heart tighten up at the thought of getting on a plane in a few days and flying hundreds of miles away from the people I love, there is a little part of me that is actually looking forward to it.  More than just the food and chance at feeling rested is the clarity that time away can bring--to filter out the clutter and gain some perspective. To appreciate each other more...and to see ourselves in new ways.


1 comment:

Feel free to share your thoughts!