Friday, July 1, 2011

Bottle It Up

I wish I had Owen's energy or could bottle that stuff up.  The summer sun keeps us running around outside a little later in the evenings and you would think that would guarantee a sound sleeper through the night.  But, his new-found independence and realization that he can actually get out of bed and leave his room has recently created some interesting wake-up calls in the middle of the night.

Last night I woke in a panic to Oscar growling, as if there was an intruder in our home.  Turns out it was just Owen, wandering into our room to tell us he had to go potty--which has actually become code for "I want to get up now".  No, sweetheart, it is only 3:30am.  After a bit of convincing, he went back to bed and I finally fell back asleep after tossing and turning.  At 5am I woke to his bathroom light on and found him sitting on top of the potty holding a shirt, shorts and underwear---ready to get dressed and start the day. Again.  All of this while our 3.5 month old slept soundly. Oh, the irony.

Getting out of bed was painful and there isn't enough caffeine to help get through this morning.  But, Owen? I thought he'd be grumpy when I had to wake him up to get dressed.  Instead, he smiled with his eyes still shut and then promptly started singing.

3 comments:

  1. I feel like there is a life lesson in this. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but there is a lot to learn from a sweet little boy who doesn't let his up in the night escapades make him grumpy in the am. I love that he smiled with his eyes still closed and started singing. What a sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could translate into a life lesson or could translate into a very tired toddler around 6 pm. Good luck with that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how painful that is when you're SO tired and robbed of sleep. But I can't help but smile thinking about how adorable Owen must have looked sitting in the bathroom with his clothes picked out for the day! And then singing with his eyes closed! What a sweetheart! Hopefully he'll take a really good nap for you today, or go to bed early tonight, or both, to make up for the sleep he lost in those early morning hours!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!