Saturday, July 14, 2012

Smoother In Your Hand

Over the last couple of months, there have been many times where I've been tempted to take the path of least resistance.  The stakes would certainly be lower, and dealing with people would be a lot easier. It is simpler to live in the comfort of the familiar where not much is expected. But then again--not much is gained, either. It's only through the uncomfortable moments of stretching that we are molded into something new--something more refined.

During a recent staff training, we discussed the four communication types: passive, passive aggressive, aggressive and assertiveIt was interesting to learn that the vast majority of people function in the passive or passive aggressive categories. Ouch! Obviously, the healthiest and most ideal style would be assertive. But, fear often holds us back---fear of creating conflict, fear of being misunderstood, and fear of being disliked.  Interestingly, just as our remote staff is discovering, operating in a passive style to avoid conflict only leads to greater misunderstanding--and prevents us from reaching our full potential.

"We judge others based on their behavior...but we judge ourselves based on our intentions." How many relationships would be deeper or misunderstandings avoided if we could just learn to be comfortable expressing ourselves in an assertive way? 

So, it almost doesn't matter what happens in the future with this job. I can already look back and see that this experience was for far more than just my professional development.  It has been a daily reminder of our intentional choice between complacency and growth. 

A reminder of God's provision and grace---and His ability to wash our sharpest edges away...
"Rolling River God
Little Stones are smooth
Only once the water passes through
So I am a stone
rough and grainy still
Trying to reconcile this river's chill 


But when I close my eyes
and feel you rushing by
I know that time brings change
and change takes time
 

And when the sunset comes
my prayer would be just this one
that you might pick me up
and notice that I am
just a little smoother in your hand


Sometimes raging wild
sometimes swollen high
never have I known this river dry
The deepest part of you
is where I want to stay
and feel the sharpest edges wash away"
~
River God by Nichole Nordeman

1 comment:

  1. My favorite quote of all time:

    "and the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" - Anais Nin

    I keep this visible at work and when I feel the hesitancy set in, when I question the risk, I remember that in the end, when you are true to yourself and speak your own truth, only then can you be truly free. It is more painful in the end to be passive and compromise yourself to others. The more practice you have, the easier it becomes.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!