Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Making the Time

"One's philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes." - Eleanor Roosevelt 

I read an interesting article (thanks for sharing, Sarah) about finding time for creative expression for a more fulfilling life.  It sounds great in theory and something that might even become a New Year's Resolution and then quickly forgotten or pushed aside when life gets in the way...again.  Like my desire to play my instruments more, start a music class, read more books, volunteer and go on mission trips.  Somehow before I know it is 11pm again and I have done none of that.

I get so focused on crossing things off my list to keep up with life: taking care of Owen, work, laundry, bills, housework, etc. that by the end of the week the days seem to blend together and my life becomes: lather, rinse, repeat (emphasis on the repeat).  I keep finding excuses or reasons why now isn't the right time.  But, like she points out in the article---there are ways to disconnect from the whirl of life around us: 24 hour news, Facebook, and TV to find a few extra hours each day, week or month to do what you are called to do in this life.  


Now, to just put that into action...


My favorite part of the article was:
"They look at me bitterly now—they don’t think I understand. But I do—I know how addictive busyness and mania are. But I ask them whether, if their children grow up to become adults who spend this one precious life in a spin of multitasking, stress, and achievement, and then work out four times a week, will they be pleased that their kids also pursued this kind of whirlwind life?
Fight tooth and nail to find time, to make it.  It is our true wealth, this moment, this hour, this day." 

3 comments:

  1. It's also about finding time to live in the moment. There are very few do-overs in life - so we might as well try to get it right the first time around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your blog, Becca! You have such a way with words. I loved the article you linked to and shared it with others. Very true! I think this may be my New Years Resolution!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think making an action plan might be the answer. I too am stuck with the "business", so if you just plan to do one thing that you want to to to volunteer or to start to research about the music class idea, or to play your music at least 3 times a week. Owen would love it. I need to start my list. thanks for the reminder. SArah is right, few do overs and really the dust will be there even if you give up those things and attend to the business. ha.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!