Monday, April 11, 2011

Filling Buckets

While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

How is my baby boy 2 1/2 years old already?! He seems more grown up to me every day and amazes me with the things he knows and understands.  A friend of mine suggested a book to us called Have You Filled a Bucket Today.  It illustrates the concept of being kind to others and how our words and actions affect other people.  Randomly, the other night when I was putting him to bed, he gave me a hug and said "that filled your bucket, Mommy".  These are the moments that take your breath away as a parent.  And, yes...it more than filled my bucket.  Then again, this weekend he also touched his Grampa's belly and said "your bucket is full!" So, we may have some more work to do in that department!

Today, he asked to watch the Easter Veggie Tales video that Mark's Aunt and Uncle sent to him.  He's watched it a few times and this morning I decided to talk to him more about it afterwards.  I asked him about Jesus and why we celebrate Easter.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but his surprising response was simple and so full of truth: "Jesus came to serve us, Mommy".  So, we had a great little talk about how that means we need to help and love others...and "fill each other's buckets."

Owen, you are such a joy to your Daddy and me.  At 2 1/2, you enjoy running around, going to the park, playing with your golf set, trains or cars and reading books.  You are such a little helper---getting your stool and helping mommy change Nora's diaper, or helping Daddy make pancakes or pizza.  We love your giggles, silly songs you make up and what a sweet child and big brother you are.  I love how proud you are to show people your little sister, or how you put your hand on her belly to calm her down or gently touch her fingers as though you are amazed at how tiny they are.  You are such a bright, sensitive and happy kid .  You show us, every day, what is important in life and how blessed we are.

4 comments:

  1. You and Mark are learning the lessons of being a parent, watching, listening and learning from the littlest gifts that are given. Yes, you are blessed and so are Nora and Owen, to have such wonderful parents. Treasure each moment, I did. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me tear up. He is such a sweet boy. My bucket was filled just by reading about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can't wait to have our buckets filled next week. I often wonder what I did before these wonderfully amazing little people came into our lives. They sure do give us reason to pause and enjoy the simplicity of their lives (and ours). And to me, that is simply the best part of being a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for filling my bucket this week. It was wonderful to see you all. Nora is so beautiful. Owen is getting so big and is so much fun to be with. I love you. mom

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!