Thursday, March 31, 2011

In the Moment

"Rejoice in the things that are present; all else is beyond thee." ~Montaigne

Three weeks in and life is amazing.  I say that, not to pretend that it has been without pain or sleeplessness, but because this time around I am focusing more on the blessings of this short season. The best part of the newborn phase? You pretty much have no choice but to live in the moment.  Life becomes a little simpler--it is difficult to make plans in advance with an inconsistent tiny person who dictates when you sleep, eat and shower.

From the moment I saw Nora, I was overcome with this feeling of contentment--like she completed our family.  I can't really explain the feeling except that it overwhelms me daily and feels like I could burst.  It is a sense of peace amidst the craziness, knowing I am not in control of any of this.  I look at my two healthy kids, loving husband and our home and wonder how I could possibly deserve all of this?!

Right now I am most thankful for:
  • My wonderful husband and his flexible work arrangement, which allowed him to be home for a few days and work from home a few afternoons.  This week, he has an online training from home and has let me sleep in a few mornings while he takes the kids downstairs to play before he has to log on.  This has been so helpful, since sleep is essential to sanity.
  • Our easy-going toddler who has been so loving towards his sister and such a great little helper.  He has been doing really well with potty training and hasn't had an accident in 3+ weeks!
  • This beautiful baby girl who, so far, seems very content and only really cries when she needs to eat.  I think she cried more in the delivery room than she has in the subsequent 3 weeks.
  • Wonderful family, neighbors and friends who have been coming to visit.  Everyone has been so generous with meals and gifts.  We feel so loved.
  • Feeling less pain and more like myself every day.  Yesterday I even went on my first outing with the two kids:

We met Owen's oldest friend, Cam, and his family at Firefly Play Cafe (since it was SNOWING).  Nora was wonderful while the kids played and Lindsey and I were able to sit and talk and drink our coffee.  It was a success---and it almost felt effortless having two kids!


Here's hoping things stay calm for awhile longer, and Spring decides to come back and stay put.

1 comment:

  1. I love your perspective and that I get to read it through your blog. I say this a lot, but you are an example to me and I think it is awesome that you are just enjoying this very short period of time where Nora is little and you can stay home and just enjoy the sweet simple joys of being mom. I love reading about your family.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!