1. an inborn pattern of activity or tendency to action common to a given biological species.
2. a natural or innate impulse, inclination or tendency.
3. a natural aptitude or gift: an instinct for teaching.
4. natural, intuitive power.
–Synonyms: genius, knack, faculty, talent.
As I think back over the last several years, one of the most surprising things about parenthood has been how much they are teaching me. They provide the most amazing lens through which to see the world and others...and myself. And, of all the lessons I have learned, one of the most important has been to recognize my inner voice...to trust my instincts.
So often in this age of information sharing, we get barraged with other people's opinions, research and feedback. Even the most well-intentioned people can nudge open the door to self-doubt: a path I am all too familiar with as it is. Instinct can get confused with worry and overreaction. And, it is easy to disregard concerns when you know others are dealing with things far more serious.
Certainly, learning from others is important--it helps offer new perspectives, different approaches and support. But, sometimes an attempt to help can actually dismiss a legitimate concern. Experience has a way of overshadowing instinct. One of my earliest lessons with that was struggling with nursing after Owen was born. Instead of seeking help right away, I listened to all the "welcome to the club"-s and "hang in there, it gets better". By the time I saw the Doctor, she thought I was nuts for letting it go so long and potentially causing damage!
Since then, it has been a gradual lesson of blocking out the noise to really listen.
So, after several months of questions with few explanations, we finally pushed forward with a physical therapy evaluation for Nora. We have had some concerns with gross motor development---not so much with not crawling or walking as much as not being able to crawl or walk. And, while it is difficult to hear anyone (especially a professional) identify delays in your child, it was actually such a relief.
We are finally on a path forward...and we can learn how to help her more.
We trusted our instincts.
And, with a little bit of therapy, hopefully this will become just a distant memory in our sweet girl's story.


I think it's great that you asked and there is nothing wrong with early intervention. Especially when the intervention can help. I think you'll be amazed at how quickly she catches on and you can watch her blossom. Soon enough she'll be chasing Owen and the older kids around. I love her so much ... she and Owen are such a source of joy to me.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with Sarah. We were in your same boat and followed our instincts with Emily and now it is a distant memory. You guys are great parents! Owen and Nora are blessed.
ReplyDeleteNora Rose brings my heart such happiness when I see her or her pictures. You did the very right thing and she will benefit from your decision. What strong and smart parents you and Mark are. I love you and hope you know that I am here for you. And as for Nora " my love will follow her wherever she goes". God Bless. and never quiet your own voice.
ReplyDelete