So, while Daddy enjoyed some much-deserved time away for a work trip, we made the most of our week here. Some of the highlights were:
--climbing up: a snuggly little boy who kept sneaking into bed with me at some point during the night. I should probably care a lot more about the bad habits I might have encouraged, but I am soaking up all the little snuggles and hugs before they start demanding that I drop them off a block away for fear of being seen with me.
--cleaning up: there is nothing like the horrible chore of organizing closets and basements. This even included boxing up maternity clothes and itty-bitty adorable baby clothes (I allowed myself a moment, sniff sniff). Why do I get these urges with less help around? Maybe it was the shift in energy and the chance to create more peaceful space. But, it certainly made me realize how much stuff we have...and how little it all means.
--catching up: enjoying the beautiful weather outside with neighbors, a trip to the zoo and some quality time with great women. There is something so comforting about being understood and encouraged. It is only when we can be vulnerable to share our flaws and experiences, that we can really help each other grow.
--standing up: Nora has been working hard. This week she pulled herself up to standing all.by.herself and has also started crawling up stairs!
Next week is her appointment with the specialists at Children's Hospital. We are thrilled with her response to therapy and are looking forward to their feedback and guidance.
--looking up: this experience specifically (and parenthood in general) has taught me a lot about worry. My dear friend, Kate, shared this with me recently:
"When I am consumed by my problems - stressed out about my life, my family, my job - I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a "right" to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities...
Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of whats happening in our lives. Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, or lace of grace towards others, or our tight grip of control...
God has allowed hard things in your life so you can show the world that your God is great and knowing Him brings peace and joy, even when life is hard." ~excerpt from Crazy LoveNeedless to say, I promptly ordered that book since it seems to be written just for me! Instead of getting caught in the cycle of worry, guilt and despair, it is a reminder to turn our gaze towards Him and let it go...up, up and away.
So, maybe this week has been good for all of us afterall. A chance to de-clutter and see our blessings in a new light...to notice and appreciate all the little things that make a big difference.






Hey, I just saw a post that made me think of you & uncomfortable-ness (yes, that's a good thing!). http://thislifeabundant.blogspot.com/2012/04/learning-to-pour-out.html She recommends another book, Kisses From Katie. Have you read it?
ReplyDeleteAlso, your baby girl is so adorable! Glad you had such a moving & shaking week!
thank you! i'll have to add that book to my list...thanks for the suggestion!
ReplyDelete