Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Right Kind Of Partner

There is something about weddings that makes everyone feel like a newlywed all over again.  The air is ripe with hope and excitement.  We take time to get dressed up, slow dance and savor the moment.

This weekend, we had the pleasure of witnessing the marriage of Mark's longtime friend, Dave and his new wife, Vicky.

A
s we stood there, listening to their vows and watching their beaming faces, I couldn't help but think back to our wedding day---seven years and two kids ago. I remember walking down the aisle, my arm entwined with my Dad's; seeing Mark's ear-to-ear smile through my tears of overwhelming joy.

How young and naive we were at that time---and yet, so sure that no matter what lay ahead, our love would endure.

...to have and to hold from this day forward...for better or worse...for richer or poorer...in sickness and health...

How those words mean more with each passing year of our marriage.  Looking back, I'd like to tell my 24-year old self a few things I've learned: 
  • Remember the power of those vows--of that daily choice and sacred promise...especially when the road gets bumpy or the view foggy (because, it will).
  • Sometimes it is OK to go to bed angry---things seem better with a little rest and some daylight.  
  • Never forget that you are on the same team.
  • It is all about love and respect. respect and love. Don't wait to get it before you give it.
  • Make time for each other; sometimes it is the simplest moments that mean the most.

So, we enjoyed the beautiful setting and long overdue quality time with Mark's camp 
friends family.

Weddings have taken on such a deeper meaning beyond the good food, good company, and celebration of love.  It is also a chance to reflect and recommit. To recall the giddy days of new love with appreciation for the depth that time brings.

To remember that it is up to us to be the right kind of person to our partner...and to honor each other's unique differences as part of God's plan for your marriage.
" I have no way of knowing whether or not you married the wrong person, but I do know that many people have a lot of wrong ideas about marriage and what it takes to make that marriage happy and successful. I'll be the first to admit that it's possible that you did marry the wrong person. However, if you treat the wrong person like the right person, you could well end up having married the right person after all! On the other hand, if you marry the right person, and treat that person wrong, you certainly will have ended up marrying the wrong person. I also know that it is far more important to be the right kind of person than it is to marry the right person. In short, whether you married the right or wrong person is primarily up to you." ~Zig Ziglar


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts!