Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Bursting the Bubble

I have to admit that I am already over this election season.  Yes, I realize it is only mid-August.  But, all of this divisive banter is just too much for my harmony-seeking, people-pleasing ways. Maybe it was Pelotonia, or watching the Olympics, or planning our Communities of Practice theme for our upcoming annual conference. But, there has been such a hopeful air swirling around me, shaking things up...and I am just not willing to let that go.   

This time of transition at work has been like a magnifying glass, challenging us to take a closer at look at who we are and what we do. It is a path strewn with opinions, obstacles and struggles.  But, we have also experienced the exhilarating payoff of collaborative work towards positive progress.  And, so far, it has been worth every growing pain along the way.

Recently, I sat down to write an article for our quarterly newsletter, urging our organization to bridge the gap of professional specialties to affect positive change within our field of financial counseling.  As I was trying to solidify my thought process, I came across a fitting analogy of a bubble, barrier and bridge. 
The Bubble: committed but blinded to perspectives or experiences outside their own. 
The Barrier: focused on differences or reasons not to, instead of the potential. 
The Bridge: creates pathways to new partnerships through awareness and respect of different experiences.            
It perfectly describes the challenges our diverse membership currently faces. But, it is also easy to draw parallels to life. And, if we are self-reflective enough to take an honest look through that magnifying glass, we'll find ourselves, our relationships, our faith and our political views as well.  Despite our best efforts, how easy it is to become entrapped in our own little bubbles...unwilling or unable to bridge the gap to understanding.

The thing is, just like the bike ride to raise money for cancer, or team preparation for the Olympics, everyone has value...every voice...every idea.  It is rather foolish, and actually kind of dangerous, to think we can go it alone and that we don't need anyone else. We each have different strengths and gifts.  It is only when they are engaged through commitment to a common passion and purpose that can we make dynamic change around us. 

But, it starts with each of us.

If you looked under the magnifying glass, where would you find yourself? How can we break down the barriers and start building some bridges in their place? Let's start by discussing the real issues of government, sifting through the rubble to find the common ground beneath us. That also requires a rejection of the hateful labels, narrow-minded views and the assignments or assumptions of intentions.

Just think of the ways our marriages, friendships, work relationships, faith communities, classrooms, and yes, especially our government, could work together in peaceful and productive ways--if we took the time to cross over the bridge to deeper understanding, respect and tolerance.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this! I loved it! I realized that I've been pretty closed-minded to opposing views. It is exhausting when it seems like all anyone talks about is the negative, but I have to admit I haven't done much to shed positive light on the conversation. Time to turn things around!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!