Tuesday, March 8, 2011

No Other Life But This

"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land, there is no other life but this." --Henry David Thoreau

I don't remember much of a crazy nesting stage while pregnant with Owen and haven't yet felt compelled to do more than the usual housework (and maybe just a little extra baking) this time either. Instead, I think my nesting has manifested itself as energy and contentment...despite the return of insomnia.

Monday morning started a little early for me at 4:30am.  I couldn't get back to sleep and decided to just get up and enjoy those peaceful early morning hours before the day begins.  I ended up working on the scrapbook of Owen's first year, which was never finished.  The front page was left blank with the intention of writing a letter to him, but the words had never come before.  Suddenly I felt inspired with the message, before our family of three becomes four.

Even the little cries from his room that came in the wee hours of morning last night seemed more like a precious gift...to be able to comfort and hold my sweet boy close.  I am sure that in another week or two, I will be exhausted and nudging Mark to answer that cry so I can sleep a little longer.  But right now, it feels good to be needed, knowing this stage will not last forever.

My sister was on to something when she said that in a way this transition holds an element of mourning...letting go of life as we have known it with our family of three.  And even though the biggest blessing is knowing that we will soon have new love to share, it feels good to cherish these moments with my "baby" boy these last few days...

4 comments:

  1. So very sweet. Thank you for your perspective. Thank you once again for the example you are to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come your posts always make me cry? Thinking of you a lot these last few days before everything changes in the most wonderful way possible. I'm glad you are able to stop and appreciate this time instead of wishing it away - the last two weeks of pregnancy were the hardest for me! You are such an amazing mom! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your feelings about the changes that are coming to our family as well. I am so touched by Louisa's excitement for her new sibling and want to spend as much time as I can cherishing her sticky hugs and kisses. It is truly bittersweet - so excited for the new addition but also sad to lose my one and only.

    I am so excited to see your family of four.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one made me cry, too, because it wasn't so long ago I was feeling the same way. (((hugs))) :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!