"Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever." ~Unknown
I finally have a moment to write down what I've been thinking about this Mother's Day: about what my mom means to me...that she continually shows me how to handle life's obstacles with grace and how important being authentic and positive really are to having deep and meaningful (and lasting) relationships.
About being a mom...how I am so humbled and blessed and feel such an exciting but terrifying duty to raise respectful and loving kids who give back to this world.
More than ever, I feel so grateful for the sacrifices made and the enormous amount of selfless love given to Mark and me throughout the years. I am thankful for both of our moms and their hand in helping to shape who we are, which eventually led us to one another...so that I have my best friend beside me during this incredible journey of parenthood.
Last week, I heard the same message about four different ways and felt like it was tugging on my heart as I reflect on the kind of mom I want to be. Being so busy that we miss who we are called to be...and we miss the opportunity to be hospitable and generous in our love towards others. It is such an important lesson at a time when we have actually managed to seclude ourselves from each other with things like social media and e-mail. It sometimes seems easier to keep in our own bubbles, take care of ourselves and stick to our routines, which leaves little time for anyone else.
If I teach Owen and Nora nothing else, I want them to know that all we have of value in this life is each other; to not get caught up doing or obtaining things but instead---get caught up in building meaningful relationships with others.
So thank you to all the strong, beautiful and incredible women in my life: grandmothers, moms, sisters, aunts and friends. Whether you are a mother or not, you have impacted my life and therefore, the person (and mother) I am working to be. So Happy Mother's Day to you too!
What can I say to this powerful and beautiful reflection. Motherhood is such a gift adn responsibility as you said. I am ever so amazed at how strong my daughters are. I am so happy to watch you parent. You are giving so much to this world. Your Nora and Owen are just such joys to be with. I love you darling. love mom
ReplyDeleteBec, you are right that it is so much easier to get into a routine and remain in your own little bubble. We get so busy, and work so hard, how can you not? Life's ultimate struggle may be to balance that instinct with that of giving to others.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite quote is:
“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
I have made myself a promise as a mother that I want my children to take the risks necessary to be contributors to the larger community and to give back for all they have been given. Now I just have to find ways to follow through! :)