Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Unplanned Blessings

"Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with one's clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all's right with the world" ~Ada Louise Huxtable 

This weekend left me wanting more.  The sunshine was like medicine to a weary soul and after tons of rain lately, it was just what the doctor ordered.  Perfect blue skies and hot, sunny days...and most of all---time spent together.  I tried to soak it all in, knowing that it would feel like it went by way too fast.  And, for a few moments, it actually felt like time stood still.  We enjoyed the weather, our neighbors and friends, and even took a wonderful boat ride.

It is so easy for me to get caught up in the things that have to get done, that I sometimes miss the wonderful parts of life that are unplanned.  Normally having both kids home with me and starting back to work would completely stress me out.  But, this time has been such a blessing--especially knowing that in a few short weeks the kids will be going to the sitter, my job will be changing and life will keep moving full steam ahead.

The little blessings for me right now are hearing the sweet coo's of my little girl, her doting older brother who makes me laugh every day with some new phrase he has picked up like "sure, mommy, I would be glad to..."(insert whatever you just suggested like eat a banana) or how he remembers details about things I had forgotten all about; the birth of my new nephew William, and a summer ahead full of lazy evenings around a bonfire, time with family and friends and going to the beach.

So, even though I could use more of this weekend, it was just what I needed to face the work week and feel refreshed.  What are the little blessings in your season of life right now?

3 comments:

  1. Sitting here this morning, also wanting more of the weekend, but getting to feel my baby kick in my belly. Last year at this time, that wasn't the case for me and I feel so blessed to get to experience this. We are in the time of getting to enjoy the baby without the responsibility yet. A sweet, short time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a relaxing weekend. It was so wonderful to have all the time with Griffin this weekend, hearing him tell me that "he was busy" while doing absolutely nothing! I agree, the sunshine is like medicine. I can hardly ever get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little blessing right this very moment is seeing Emily sway back and forth and smile while she dances to the music of your blog. She is too sweet!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!