The bad weather was starting to wear on all of us. Even Owen, who is usually cheery and fun, was getting a bit of a bad attitude. Frustration was mounting, along with feelings of defeat...clearly we were missing some big parenting insight to avoid a take-down by a 2 1/2 year old! We tried things like more special time (in case the charm of a new baby sister was wearing off), new games, books, bribery...nothing seemed to work.
Then, I decided to adjust my attitude. Instead of adding to his bad mood with mine, I got goofy. Little-Tiny-Curious-George convinced him to go potty, his toes cried out that they were cold when we needed to get socks/shoes on, etc. Desperate parenting? Absolutely. But, whatever works, right?
I definitely don't want to raise little robots (or be defeated by "the-terrible-anythings")..., so I am trying to focus on the positive. I am thankful that he is finding his voice and identity. We just need some prayers for our wisdom (and sanity) in the process!
The sunshine today reminds me of the ever-changing seasons of life. It is how I choose to handle the cloudy days that will truly determine how sunny the others will be.
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead." ~Louisa May Alcott
Seriously, you are such an example to me. Thank you for being real with your readers and allowing us to have a glimpse into your home. Owen and Nora are so lucky to have you as Mommy.
ReplyDeleteWell how quickly you are learning, meet them where they are and go from there. It is never an easy road, no two days are the same but what joy there is. Remember, if you can laugh about it in a week, why not just laugh in the moment. love you all.
ReplyDelete