Don't you love when you hear or read something that strikes a chord—or when it feels like an answer to your prayers and a solution to your struggles? The article I came across today resonated with where I am right now and things I am struggling with.
"I’m just saying that the longer I live and the further I travel and the more I see and experience of the brokenness of life, the more I realize that every encounter and every relationship goes better when we approach it from a position of love. I don’t think love means that we have to agree about everything. But I think it means that we listen hard, and that we do our best to understand the fears, the frustrations, the dreams, the worldview, and the experience of "the other." And while we listen, we pray that God will open the eyes of our hearts and expand the capacity of our minds. And we pray that the Spirit, the passion, and the redemptive work of Jesus will have its way in us and in the world."
On Sunday, our Pastor told a story about a Rabbi who was just out of seminary. The Rabbi had a burning desire to go out and change the world. But, after several years, he felt discouraged and thought maybe he could just work to change his nation…a few years later maybe just his city…then just his family...and finally just himself. After living a long life, he realized that if he had only worked to change himself first, then he may have been able to change his family and his city, the nation and even the world.
One of my dear friends says that when she is struggling with a relationship in her life, she prays "bless them, change me." I love that idea...and feel called to work on approaching the situations and relationships in my life from this "position of love."
Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGreat stories and reflection! I think understanding another's point of view is difficult, but so very necessary. I think I realize it most in my marriage relationship. Sometimes you think you marry someone "just like you", and as the years go by, you start to realize differences. I think I sometimes try too hard to get him to see MY point of view...I forget that his point of view is just as important. Its a struggle.
ReplyDelete