Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sweet Anticipation

Sometimes the immense weight of being a parent randomly hits me.  Like, when I think about the lives we are helping to shape and mold...and the ways we lay that foundation, both intentionally and unintentionally.

What will their story be? What family traditions will shape their childhood?

Will we send the right messages about faith, love, family, character, honor and loyalty?  Will they learn to be confident, while always showing grace and compassion to others?

This Christmas season, finding the balance between teaching the truth and fostering creativity and imagination has proved particularly challenging. We want to establish meaningful family traditions that focus on the real meaning of the holiday.  At the same time, we want them to grow up with that sweet anticipation and excitement...and yes, magic.  

Our Elf on the Shelf, "Max".  He reports to Santa each evening and then reappears every morning in a new spot:
I am a little embarrassed to admit that part of me feels a bit dishonest--until I remind myself that this innocence and wonder lasts such a short time and is an important part of childhood.

But, I just keep wondering...why the debate between Santa vs. Jesus?  Can't they coexist? After all, Santa Claus (Saint Nicholas) was an actual person, admired for being kind and helping the needy by secretly leaving gifts and money in their shoes. 

He does not have to mean commercialism, materialism and excess--that's on us.

I can remember being a little girl and asking my mom if Santa knew Jesus. She told me that they were great friends, which seemed logical to me since Santa was out promoting and spreading goodwill and joy.  I never misunderstood that Christmas was a celebration of the birth of our Savior or that Jesus was more important than Santa.  But, I also have some pretty magical memories of the holiday and special traditions that are close to my heart.  We had the fortune of celebrating St Nicholas Day and Christmas.  I loved leaving our shoes outside our doors at night to find them filled with little things the next day...or going to Midnight Mass and then cuddling in bed with my sisters while my Dad read The Night Before Christmas to us every year.  

While we don't know what all of our family traditions will end up being, we are open to the ways we can serve others and deepen our faith.  We'll figure out what fits our family best and will respect others for doing the same. And, this Advent season of expectant waiting and hope for our Savior's birth, we'll be decking the halls, singing Christmas carols, eating lots of goodies...and looking for Max each morning.  
"That's when the Spirit of Christmas smiled.  Remember, this all began with a child.  Because it took nothing but love to begin it, it's not really Christmas if love isn't in it." ~from Nancy Tillman's The Spirit of Christmas


2 comments:

  1. Your memory of dad reading to us only reminded me of the time the bed broke and I am laughing out loud. In all seriousness, great message. I think the children will come to know the real meaning because that is what we will teach them. But it is about the magic, the excitement and the time with family and the giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an elf too! His name is Zelf! I was spouting off different silly possibilities because the kids were at a loss, and somehow that was the name they picked!
    There really is nothing else like this beautiful time of year. For some reason your blog always makes me cry! I guess because you manage to capture so well in words what I hold deep in my heart.
    Your post made me think of a letter I read a few days ago from a mom to her daughter the year the little girl finally asked for the truth about Santa. I recommend reading it with tissues handy!
    http://www.cozi.com/live-simply/truth-about-santa

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!