"In our lives there is bound to come some pain, surely as there are storms and falling rain. Just believe that the One who holds the storms will bring the sun."
It has been awhile since we've had a storm like that. The kind that jolts you awake with its unsettling wrath. It was the first storm that Owen didn't sleep right through (and I have no idea how Nora did). He got in our bed and curled up between us. Even Oscar got under the covers at the end of the bed.
And, for awhile, I just watched Owen's sweet, peaceful face and the rise and fall of his chest with each breath. I had one of those perspective moments when the enormity of life and our roles as parents hit me. At the same time, the meaning and purpose was suddenly so simple and clear.
I just kept thinking about the rain clouds overhead--the way we seem to keep dodging lightning bolts and trying to seek shelter before the skies unleash the rain. Because it is true--when it rains, it pours. At least that's how it feels around here lately.
I often feel so ill-equipped to juggle life's pressures with faith and grace. But, as I lay there stroking his cheek and whispering everything is going to be ok, I realized that he was actually comforting me. In those moments, my independent little guy needed me.
I didn't have to have everything figured out to be enough for him. I just needed to be there.
This morning I woke with a freshness that only a good rain can provide. Even my tired eyes are a welcome reminder of the peace I felt in the midst of the storm last night. And, when my faith falters and the path ahead seems uncertain, they inspire me to keep moving forward...
...knowing that the love of this family is made beautiful through the storms of life.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to share your thoughts!