Tuesday, March 6, 2012

That's Just Life

"I was thinking I would keep waiting for life to get easier. You know, lower stakes, less risk, easier. And I was thinking, maybe it doesn't. Maybe the struggle, the climb, one obstacle after another... maybe that's just life." ~Addison Montgomery, Private Practice

This seems to be a reoccurring theme in my life lately.  It isn't always so easy to accept or embrace--especially with life's pressures, to-do lists and unexpected bills.  But, today, in the midst of a stressful week, I got some news that eased the burden just a bit. Nothing earth-shattering or life-changing, but it is hard not to see it as God's provision to help us through. 

And, it 
reminded me that life is made up of choices--not always in how the script is written, but more by how we play the part. Addison was right that when we stop waiting for life to get easier, we can start living. Being content really is a choice we make on a daily basis. Contentment is a state of being--a defining characteristic of our hearts that is dependent on nothing else but our faith and our perspective on what this life is really for.

At times it can feel like we are just running in place or even taking a few steps back. But, these are the moments that show us what we're made of, what we actually need and what is important.  They remind us that God is working everything together for the good.  For our good--to grow in spirit, character and service to others. They help us to see and appreciate the blessings just a little more.

The grass is truly greener where we water it...yet how often I am caught admiring another’s yard from a distance with no knowledge of the struggles they are facing...or what brought them to that point. It may sound cliche, but it is often helpful for me to focus on the blessing in the struggle.  
When I am stressed at work, I realize there are people who are unemployed and unable to provide for their families. 
When I am sick of wiping noses and changing diapers, I think about the people who long to hold a healthy child. 
When I am stressed about money, I remember there are people who are unable to pay their bills or put food on their table.
When I am tired of cleaning up or doing laundry, I realize how much we have and how much we take it for granted.
So, instead of working on getting ahead, I need to slow down and enjoy the view along the way.  Open my eyes to the blessings around me. Make the most of our current situation. 

Embrace the role that I was uniquely created (and equipped) to play---and choose contentment.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! It's important to stop and remind ourselves all that is great in our life!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!