Saturday, March 3, 2012

Buddy

In one week, our baby girl turns 1.  It is hard enough to deal with that, so I'll wait until then to write more about it.  But, while I was looking through pictures from this year, I was struck by how much Owen has changed.  There are moments (lots of them) when I am startled at how big he is...how tall...how grown up.

One year ago:

And, for as challenging as the "3's" can be, I think there are far more sweet moments in this phase--where connections are made and curiosity meets eagerness for lots of interesting discussions and teachable moments. We call him "buddy" all the time because he truly is--we can be doing anything and as long as we are together, it feels like a valid activity (there's my justification for our picture obsession).

So, after a busy couple of weeks, a stormy night was the perfect excuse to play games around an indoor campfire.  Special Owen-time was just what we all needed (the s'mores were just bonus):









These days, Owen is caught between wanting to be the "line-leader" and the "caboose". It can be an exhausting game of knowing when to foster independence and when to smother him with hugs and kisses. But, it is such a rewarding and adorable phase that I hope sticks around for awhile.

The other day he brought this picture home and told us it was his "
abstrapt painting". 


Gosh, I love that kid.


1 comment:

  1. That is such a good idea. We may need to do an indoor campfire at the Ran house one of these days soon!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!