Friday, February 18, 2011

Go With The Flow

"The only things we can keep are the things we freely give to God.  What we try to keep for ourselves is just what we are sure to lose." --C.S. Lewis


Although I like to think that I am flexible and can go with the flow, I am learning that maybe that works best only when I've planned to be.  That doesn't really count, then, does it?


Today was a lesson to me in going with the flow.  We had a miscommunication with our sitter this morning, and I ended up keeping Owen home with me.  I started feeling very torn and stressed about all the work I had planned to get done and wanting to spend time with him.  Owen thought it would be the perfect time to push buttons, get Oscar (and our friend's dog that we are watching) riled up and cause more commotion.  I suddenly felt like I was failing on all levels.  


So, I decided to shake it off and take Owen to the park to run around and get some fresh air (and a new attitude).  After all, it was sunny and 60 degrees in February.  How could I be grumpy?


We had fun at the park and I had some time to sit and reflect on all the things I had to be thankful for...

 as we were ready to leave, we noticed this.


 the only thing left to do was laugh.




Today made me realize that crossing things off my list isn't what fulfills me or measures my worth.  Had things gone according to my plan, I wouldn't have spent this beautiful morning outside running around with Owen.  So, I am letting go of the things that seemed important (deadlines, schedules) and opening myself to God's timing and opportunities. 


As it turns out, this morning was exactly what I needed...

4 comments:

  1. Great perspective. We make plans and God laughs! Glad you got to enjoy this great weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do I have tears in my eyes right now? Maybe it's a message I needed to hear too. It's soooo hard to surrender control and accept whatever life throws at you. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your morning with Owen! I love the picture of him watching the guy changing your tire - I bet that was the highlight of the day for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post--I am trying to have this attitude, too. It can be hard to let go and just enjoy how the day unfolds...no, it's just hard to let go. The enjoyment comes quite naturally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just have to keep reminding each other of this beautiful reflection. I love you. mom

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!