Thursday, February 24, 2011

Waiting

"Waiting on God requires the willingness to bear uncertainty, to carry within oneself the unanswered question, lifting the heart to God about it whenever it intrudes upon one's thoughts." --Elizabeth Elliot

Time always moves slower when we are waiting for something.  Normally I am wondering where the time has gone and when life began racing ahead at lightning speed.  But, in a season of waiting it seems like time comes to a grinding halt.  We have two weeks until we get to meet our new bundle...and I.Can't.Wait!
"You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present worrying about the future"
I believe God offers these seasons of waiting as an opportunity---to slow down, be present and faithful...to reflect, learn and grow.  So, in these last couple of weeks, I am trying to focus on now. today.  Treasuring what is true instead of focusing on what may be.  I don't want to wish away time and miss this.

I read something recently that really made me think:
"What if every morning, we literally had to buy our time for the day? Would we spend it more wisely? If we had to buy what time is worth, would we slow down to wake up?"






3 comments:

  1. This is a convicting post for me. As I'm now in my 7th week of this pregnancy, I so desperately want to get to 20 weeks (the point where my last pregnancy ended) and then to October 12. I am so guilty of searching for the fast forward button and I'm afraid I miss out on so much in my search for the magic remote. We aren't in charge of our future (that should be a comfort!)but we are in charge of our attitude in the waiting. Thank you, I needed this reminder today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wait is the hardest part. :) And I'm one to thoroughly enjoy pregnancy--heck, I'd love it if I could stay pregnant after the baby has already arrived. Still I find that I can't.wait. until the baby is here, even though I know it will bring an end to the pregnancy. I never got miserably uncomfortable or anything, but I still remember reaching a point (oh, around 39/40 weeks, lol) where I just wanted to be done...not that I had anything to complain about, I just was ready to meet my baby!! And now he is here, and is about to turn 9 months old and I *can't* believe it. Things went even faster the second time around and I know they aren't going to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My theme for this year is patience and enjoying the moments. I think for too long I just wanted to get to the next point but since first learning I was pregnant with Griffin, I have been determined to enjoy the moments and not wish time away ... even at the end when I was overdue and in labor for so long. I wanted to remember the moments and focus on what is good in life. Somedays I achieve my goal and others I need to a reminder (like this post). I can't wait to meet my new niece or nephew. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!