"I am only one, but
still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And
because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can
do." ~ Helen Keller
You’d think by now I could call myself a runner: I have run a half and full
marathon and a handful of smaller races.
But, I still have a love-hate relationship with it. I love running
races with my sister, who got me into it and pushed me until I started to believe
I could do it. Mostly, I think it is the mental victory that proves you are capable of overcoming challenges and that you are stronger
than you think. This morning, in the midst of sleepiness, the chill in the air
and the misty rain falling, it was a positive focus that put one foot in front of the other. I
was reminded, yet again, how much our thoughts direct our actions and frame our perspectives.
Lately, I have been struggling with a lack of collaboration and fulfillment in
my new position at work and a desire for something more meaningful. And, like
most working moms I know, I am overwhelmed by the number of wheels spinning in
different directions. After all, we still take on the logistics of running
a household and the instincts to take care of everyone. With all of that,
where do my personal dreams and goals fit? It is easy to push them aside
or feel selfish for even having them.
And then, last week, after applying for a neat job opportunity and feeling
restless, a wonderful friend put me in touch with a woman who does career
coaching for female executives. Through our discussion, and a few helpful
exercises, I was able to re-frame my
perspective about my current job, while also setting up exciting opportunities
for community involvement in things I am passionate about. I left with a
new sense of excitement--energy for my current job and hope for future
opportunities. And, I realized that this was just the thing I needed: a
shift in focus; to take steps forward without completely changing the path.
I had become paralyzed by the
doubts and negative thoughts that I wasn't doing enough or wasn't capable of
doing more, that I failed to see
different ways I could work to accomplish my goals. "For as he thinketh
in his heart, so is he." ~ Proverbs 23:7
What we focus on truly does start to define us
and the direction our lives take. Focusing on money or success, how
others have disappointed or hurt us, or even negative thoughts about
ourselves keeps us stuck in the shadows, instead of focused on the light. If we aren't able to change the situation, maybe we are truly where we need to be to learn certain lessons or meet certain people. And, in the meantime, perhaps we can shift our focus to find other steps toward our dreams.
"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble,
whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is
admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such
things." ~ Philippians 4:8
Beautifully stated. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and your heart!
ReplyDeletePerhaps its through discomfort that we find that negativity or frustration only makes us feel worse. And since we all have so much on our plates and want the best, we then must think the best. It can be challenging some weeks, some days, some minutes, but the glass half full is much better than half empty.
ReplyDelete