Sunday, November 20, 2011

Are You Happy or Joyful?

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Shopping for a church can be a long and sometimes frustrating process.  When Mark and I got engaged, we decided that we would choose a new faith community that was separate from either of our traditions.  We would find a place that we both felt at home and where we could grow spiritually.  After a two year search, we finally found a wonderful Methodist church.  When we moved across town last year, we both wished we could have brought that church with us, too.  And, for awhile we continued to make the trip back.  But, we've recently started the process of finding a new church again.  


Sometimes getting out of the routine, or comfort zone of familiarity helps me hear things in a new way. 

Yesterday, the Pastor spoke about becoming a "possibility thinker" instead of dwelling in the negative.  Afterall, positive people are statistically healthier and have less strokes, heart disease and depression. But, he also made a distinction between happiness and joy.  The road to happiness is tied to circumstances, accomplishment and others.  When people don't react the way we want or life doesn't go as we planned or expected, we hold grudges or become disappointed, anxious and unhappy.  


Slowly, but surely, our open hearts and minds become guarded and cynical.

But, joy is an attitude of our heart--experienced when we truly believe that God works all things together for the good.  That doesn't mean everything will be good but that in every relationship, every situation, every sorrow and disappointment: there is a purpose and an opportunity for growth. 
"Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good." ~Romans 8:28, The Message

This time of year is such a great opportunity to pause and reflect.  Hopefully, amidst all of the struggles and pain and disappointment throughout the year, we are able to do more than just count our blessings: family, friends, jobs, and health.  We can look back with new perspective and clarity about the journey, and if we are lucky--can see how situations resolved, life changed and we grew.

Admittedly, I often get caught up in the search for happiness and contentment through superficial things, or that which I think I can control. And, I know it is a human condition that we are all pulled to the material things of this world.  But, joy is a deeper, longer-lasting spirit-experience.  

Joy lasts long after happiness has gone in search of the next desire. Joy lasts through the trials of life.  And, there is freedom in choosing joy over conditional happiness.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! As I was reading I thought of a few people I know who are truly joyful. I definitely wouldn't say those who popped into my head have the 'happiest' or easiest lives. In fact, they've been through - or are in the midst of - struggles I can't begin to imagine facing. Thank you for so eloquently sharing this beautiful insight into the difference between circumstantial happiness and inner joy and peace. It is remarkably simple, but extremely profound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irony always strikes...we are reading Joyce Meyer's "Power THoughts" in our ladies group right now at church, and she talks about getting rid of "stinkin' thinkin" and those thoughts that tie us down. I always felt as though I was a positive person, but I have begun to see how some of my every day fears/worries actually create a very negative mindset.
    I will pray that you all find a great church!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts!